The most recent city on the BarCamp Tour was BarCamp Omaha. Omaha has a blossoming tech and entrepreneur scene and was named one of the 7 cities that have caught startup fever. I got to see it first hand as there were tons of folks at BarCamp Omaha who had startups, small businesses or other tech projects they were working on.
The organizers, Dusty Davidson, Eric Downs, Matt Secoske and Megan Hunt (aka. Princess Lasertron who had just finished showing at Omaha Fashion Week.) did a fabulous job. They got a ton of sponsors for everything from snacks to the weather. The conference was held at the Nomad Lounge, a beautiful renovated factory space, with a pre-party on Friday night and a full day of sessions on Saturday.
BarCamp Omaha had tons of great sessions including:
- Content Strategy by the lovely Lisa Martin
- Artist Tim Guthrie shared his “Creative Process”
- “How to Design Web Apps Users Love” with Kevin Hale from Wufoo
- Jonathan Kay from http://grasshopper.com/ on “Lessons Learned from Failing. Losing $500,000”
- “The art of the kick-start – How designers can get their ideas started without coding skills” by Jake Stutzman
A good time was had by all thanks to the tireless efforts of the organizers. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for next year!
BarCamp Tour is heading to Tampa, FL this weekend. If you are in the area, don’t miss it. There are sure to be interesting people there who are willing to share their knowledge on a wide variety of subjects.